Do you enjoy learning about nature and spending time outdoors exploring? Join our Environmental Educators at Camp Agapé for ACE Ed-Ventures Silver, a specialty program designed for active and adventurous adults ages 55+. Pick a topic and schedule your event on a date of your convenience (pending availability).
ACE Ed-Ventures Silver Events
- Monday - Friday
- 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- On a date of your convenience
Cost for program & lunch
- $45.00 per person
Lunch provided by Agapé's talented Food Service Staff
Minimum number of participants: 14
Maximum number of participants: 20
Participants must be able to walk on uneven ground. Most trails are either graveled or have woodchip surfaces. We can provide walking sticks if desired. Trails are not wheelchair or walker compatible. Topic descriptions include trail difficulty level.
Topics and when they are available:
- Geology (easy to moderate trail) – Being located on the fall line between the Piedmont and Coastal Plain geophysical regions provides some fascinating geology at Agapé and some pretty interesting history. Eureka!
- Local History (easy trail) – What was life like on the land before Agapé came into existence in the late 196os? Visit the restored log cabin and other historical locations. Share stories of your own to add to the rich history of the late 1800s to mid-1900s.
- Water Quality (easy to moderate trail) – Using the biotic index along with abiotic tests, determine how healthy the water is at Agapé’s Whispering Pines Pond and possibly the Cascade Creek. Optional: collect macroinvertebrates from the pond or stream. Kneeling will be necessary for those who want to get close to the water.
- Winter Trees (easy trail) – Identifying trees without leaves? We’ll explore clues on the branches and bark while using dichotomous keys.
- Spring Wildflowers (easy to moderate trail) – Phenology! Spring wildflowers are a big part of nature’s calendar. Learn about flower anatomy and discover what is blooming at Agapé.
- Birds! (easy trail) – Spring migration is in full swing. (Or should we say flight?) Discover who is flitting about using auditory as well as visual cues. Binoculars provided or bring your own.
- Wonders of Autumn (easy trail) – It’s all about color! What causes the rainbow of colors in the deciduous trees? What birds are coming and going? How are animals preparing for winter? We’ll explore trees, habitats, and more!
Silver Seminar topics are also available - pending guest speaker availability.